Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Embassy in Azerbaijan is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for Defence Relations Officer.
Main purpose of job:
As the only permanent member of the team in Azerbaijan the Defence Relations Officer (DRO) is required to identify and develop opportunities to advance UK-Azerbaijan defence relations. The DRO will represent the British Defence Attaché at various events & meetings.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Act as a contact point between the UK Defence Section and military and civilian institutions, coordinating training and engagement opportunities;
- Establish and maintain regular useful contact with individuals and organisations across the defence and security sphere within Azerbaijan, which can be identified as important to the UK Defence Engagement goal, including the other DAs;
- Timely reporting of political/military events in Azerbaijan and the wider region;
- Provide analysis of regional conflicts, including events, underlying causes and options for conflict resolution.
- Provide analysis of Azerbaijan’s military engagement internationally e.g. NATO and Afghanistan
- Identify new defence and security related opportunities which might potentially be funded by the UK Defence Section and (subject to their subsequent approval) co-operate with outside agencies regarding the implementation of those opportunities;
- Actively seek out opportunities for defence & security sales by the UK, which should be notified to the DA in the first instance;
- Arrange conferences, meetings and visits in-country and exceptionally elsewhere;
Defence Cooperation Training Opportunities
- Maintain the Security Cooperation & Activity Programme (SCAP), which is published annually and identifies the major training opportunities which are being offered for Azerbaijan. It is your responsibility to ensure that all the pre-attendance requirements are met during the selection process and also that deadlines set by the UK authority are adhered to;
- Maintain the Student Database, which is to be populated upon the completion of ALL training activities/courses. Annually review the Alumni Tracking Database and record any change in the details;
- Ensure that the documentation for all payments (both cash and bank) is accurately recorded (including the provision of supporting receipts) and can withstand external financial scrutiny;
- Update the network of contacts within the defence and security sphere of Azerbaijan;
- Supervise and manage the locally contracted part-time Defence Section Driver;
- Maintain, oversee and administer over flight and landing requests and any emergency short notice medical repatriation flights;
- Meet and escort official visitors and groups, both those from the UK Ministry of Defence and those sponsored by the UK Ministry of Defence;
- Complete a Course Interview Proforma (pre and post training activity) for every candidate, who has been nominated for a Tier 1 training activity;
- Checking correspondence on the Firecrest FCDO intranet during working hours.
- Handover/Takeover File should be periodically reviewed and updated as necessary;
- Maintain a small number of office systems, including data management;
- Accurately translate written correspondence;
- Act as an interpreter during meetings;
- Any other tasks as directed by the Defence Attaché and Assistant Defence Attaché.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Excellent command of English and Azerbaijani languages (verbal and written);
- Experience monitoring, analysing and reporting on defence or political related issues;
- Experience of producing clear written reports in English;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Project a professional image and build contacts and networks. Speak confidently with defence and other experts to present UK positions and obtain information for Embassy reporting;
- A team player, ready to help colleagues and share knowledge willingly;
- Strong IT skills, in particular all main social media platforms, Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Availability to travel occasionally within Azerbaijan or internationally as needed;
- Good verbal Russian skills.
Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline Application deadline – day Application deadline – month Application deadline – year
17 January 2021
Type of Position
Working hours per week
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Type of Post
Number of vacancies
Starting monthly salary (USD)
Start Date Start Date – day Start Date – month Start Date – year
1 March 2021
Other benefits and conditions of employment
This is a permanent full-time position, five working days, 40 hours net per week.
The salary is USD 1,745.68 gross per month and shall be paid in AZN monthly.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Azerbaijan is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service of the FCDO according to local labour legislation.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Azerbaijan. The British Embassy does not sponsor, nor does it provide assistance for obtaining work & resident permits.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
Information due to COVID-19:
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Apply your CV
Published: 2020-12-31 07:48:10